Friday 22 September 2017

My FR&YWU competition entry: The Caddisfly corset

This is the first journal entry on my FR&YWU competition corset. I do not have any idea of how this is going to work out, but I guess I'll figure it our on the way.

My idea for an insect themed corset will be based on the caddisfly larvae.  Caddisflies are rather boring winged insects, that in their larvae state lives underwater in fresh water systems, like lakes and streams. The larvaes are soft and very edible for predators, so they produce a portable case for them self, that works as a artificial shell or shield.



The larvaes use whatever material is available to them, and therefor the cases can look very different. I found some lovely pictures of cases made in danish streams on www.vestrehus.dk, and decided to base my corset on them.



My original idea was to make a normal corset, and paint it with fabric paint, and then decorate it with lots of pearls, stones and lasercut leaves. This would work wonderfully, as the colors and textures of the caddisfly larvae cases are a perfect match on my cores esthetics, and the corset could be used for the new visual identity for my blog and facebook page.

However, during the live talk for the FR&YWU members, Lowana helped explain, that the whole point of the contest was to push your own boundaries. And honestly, painting and decoration a corset is not new to me, so the idea I had was a little too tame...
Then Lowana explained, that in order to do something that would really push my boundaries, I would have to search for something that scared me. Like 'I don't know if I can even do this' scare. And then I thought about doing a water tolerant corset, with synthetic whalebone and the like. I mean, I have never worked with that before, right? Making a corset that can tolerate to become wet frequently would be a challenge. But then a small voice started to nag at me...

What if the corset is not supposed to leave the water at all?
What if it is like the larvae, a water dweller?

I tried to ignore the voice, as this was not possible. I mean, coutil is cottonbased and will not survive long exposure to water. Especially as the image forming in my head had actual live plants in it, and bugs and critters and eeeewww. (I have a rather big love for freshwater ecosystems like fens, carrs, ponds and lakes. I also have just as large fear of actually touching anything living in those lovely places. I guess it comes from living right next to a lake filled with mosquitos and leeches, in a country where we do not have any actual dangerous animals...)

But then. Fear is the whole point here, isn't it?
Fear is the guiding light that is to show me a new way.

So I guess I will make a waterdwelling corset like the caddisfly larvae. And it will look like the cases the larvaes build.

Oh shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment